Sunday, November 13, 2016

Lennie Was A Candle In The Wind...

Hey there! Its Emily and I am back with more to say about John Steinbeck's, Of Mice And Men. Like I said in my last blog post, George and Lennie are very close with each other! So, the ending of the book was extremely sad for me to read! George having to kill Lennie was heartbreaking! One thing that I like to do to try to make me feel comforted when I'm sad is listening to music. When I thought about Lennie's death and how it must have affected George, I thought of the classic song "A Candle In The Wind" by Elton John. Some beautiful lyrics from the song are,
"And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in."
These lyrics relate very well to Lennie and George's situation. I think that these lyrics could represent the way George feels about Lennie. When he was alive, Lennie was like a candle in the wind. A candle in the wind is something that is vulnerable and likely to fail at any given moment. In the Great Depression, being mentally ill like Lennie, made you very vulnerable. Lennie was also lost, "never knowing who to cling to when the rain set in." However, he had George. George was always there for him to depend on during rough times. The greatest example of this was at the end of the book, when George killed Lennie. At first thought, it seems like a horrible thing that George did. However, killing Lennie as he thought of happy things, was actually an act of love and protection. It spared him from what could've been a very harsh death if Curley had done it instead. So, now whenever I hear John Elton's, "A Candle In The Wind", I will think of George and Lennie. Until next time, Emily. 


1 comment:

  1. A lot of people had the same thoughts reading the ending, and it's always nice for people to know that they aren't the only one thinking a certain way. The connection between the book and the song was really creative and something that a lot of people wouldn't think of. This post was really unique and thoughtful, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete